Fiverr happens to be the latest trend in the freelancing world. Some people prefer to make use of other platforms like “Upwork”; however, Fiverr is preferred by most people because of the fact that it is quite easy to use and set up. While this platform has proven itself to be one of the best freelance platforms with over three (3) million users, most people still consider it a scam.
In this post, we will fully review this platform, as well as try to discuss the benefits and measures that have been put in place to ensure that buyers are able to get the right people for their jobs.
What Is Fiverr?
Basically, Fiverr is simply a freelance marketplace. It provides a good platform for freelancers all over the world to provide services to tons of users worldwide. Developed by Micha Kaufman and Shai Wininger and launched in February 2010, this platform has become one of the most sought-after freelance marketplaces in the world.
It was created out of an idea of Wininger to develop a “two-sided platform” where people could offer various services to people all over the world. Since its launch in 2010, it has been stated that over 25 million service transactions have been completed on this platform. As of 2012, it was specifically reported that this platform had over three million registered users buying and selling services.
How to Sign Up on Fiverr?
Unlike most of the other freelance marketplaces that have been developed, Fiverr offer both buyers and sellers a single account system. Setting up an account on the platform is quite easy and most importantly free. People from all over the world are able to register and begin buying or selling services without having to go through any verification process.
To create an account on Fiverr you can use your Google or Facebook profile, otherwise, you can sign up with your email address. After you activate your account, you will be able to use Fiverr and all of its features.
What Is Fiverr Gig?
All sellers (freelancers) offer services on the Fiverr website. These services are called Fiverr gigs. The price for them start from $5 and grows according to requirements and quality. The higher the price is, the better quality the service is. Also, the gig price depends on what service you choose and the seller rank.
How Does Fiverr Work?
As mentioned earlier, Fiverr is simply a freelance marketplace where sellers can upload their services and rate and wait for buyers to contact them. Anyone with a registered buyer account is able to order a gig on the platform by just specifying the type of gig they want to be created.
Basically, Fiverr works like a middleman between the buyer and the seller (freelancer), connecting them on its platform.
Buying On Fiverr
Prior to the development and launch of this platform, it was difficult to order for gigs. This was because most of the platforms developed were difficult to use and most times you would be required to go through tough security check before accounts are created.
The Fiverr platform changed that, offering buyers all over the world limitless buying options.
On the Fiverr platform, let us say a buyer needs a gig for his website, all he has to do is simply give out specific details of what he wants. Once he has done this, sellers all over the platform with the skill set needed for the job would bid for it. Each offering different prices as well as the time of completion.
The platform is designed in such a way that these buyers are sure to succeed. For every seller that bids, they would be able to see the level as well as ratings of the seller. This would help them hire the right person for the job. With this method, the Fiverr platform seeks to offer clients with various options to choose the best that would definitely suit their needs.
Also on the platform, the client could go through the previous gigs that have been created by the freelancer, to look for one that might match his needs or that is close to what he wants. If after a careful search, they see one that is exactly like what they need, they could request the freelancer to create another of the gig.
On the Fiverr platform, before a client buys a gig, he would have to send the platform the amount that is needed for the gig. This is done to ensure that neither the client or freelancer is able to scam the other. This is a preventive measure that has been put in by the platform to ensure that it is transparent. This method saves both the client as well as the freelancer from further problems.
This measure was put in place to benefit the buyers as well as sellers. This would ensure that sellers complete the job that was done before they are being paid. This measure guarantees that the job is completed and suit the buyer needs before he will click on “completed job”. The seller only gets the payment once the job has been completed and approved by the buyer.
Once the payment has been made to the platform, the buyer is required by the platform to answer all questions that would be asked by the freelancer. This is required to ensure that the gig or job is done to suit the requirements of the buyer. Answers to these questions would help give the seller a better idea of how to get the job done.
The buyer or client has the right to ask for modifications if he feels that the gig created was not done properly. This is another way the Fiverr platform ensures that the interest of buyers is taken into consideration. Also, the platform would ensure that payments are not sent until the modification request has been attended to.
After the job has been completed, the buyer can mark the gig created as completed and based on certain set parameters, he can rate the freelancer for the job done. The parameters are:
- Service as described
- Communication with seller
- Recommend or buy again
Clients or buyers are able to rate these sellers after gigs have been created. This is another way that buyers are guided on the platform. These ratings would help other buyers judge the type of service that is been offered by each seller.
After the order has been marked as completed by the client, Fiverr would release the payment to the freelancer.
Also, if the client fails to mark the gig ordered as completed after 72 hours, the platform would automatically mark as good and have the payment sent to the freelancer.
The Type Of Gigs That Can Be Ordered On Fiverr
On the Fiverr platform, buyers are given endless options. Whatever gig you want can be ordered on the platform. Do you need a website created for your business? Do you need content writers for your blog? Do you need graphics designers? Whichever gig you want can be created on the platform, all you have to do is simply place an order.
Don’t have a website? You should take a look at Wealthy Affiliate. Here you can create a website in any niche you are interested in. Click here and read my Wealthy Affiliate review.
Fiverr classifies the gigs in 8 main categories and each category has many others subcategories:
- Graphics & Design – Logo Design, Illustration, Flyers & Brochures, Social Media Design, Banner Ads, Book & Album Covers, Photoshop Editing, 3D Models & Product Design and other.
- Digital Marketing – Social Media Marketing, SEO, Content Marketing, Video Marketing, Email Marketing, Marketing Strategy, Influencer Marketing, E-Commerce Marketing, Web Traffic and other.
- Writing & Translation – Resumes & Cover Letters, Product Descriptions, Website Content, Translation, Creative Writing, Articles & Blog Posts, Sales Copy, Email Copy, Business Names & Slogans and other.
- Video & Animation – Whiteboard & Animated Explainers, Logo Animation, Slideshows & Promo Videos, Editing & Post Production, Lyric & Music Videos, Short Video Ads, Live Action Explainers and other.
- Music & Audio – Voice Over, Mixing & Mastering, Producers & Composers, Singer-Songwriters, Session Musicians & Singers, Jingles & Drops, Sound Effects and other.
- Programming & Tech – WordPress, Website Builders & CMS, Web Programming, E-commerce, Mobile Apps & Web, Desktop applications, Support & IT, Databases and other.
- Business – Virtual Assistant, Data Entry, Market Research, Business Plans, Branding Services, Legal Consulting, Financial Consulting, Presentations and other.
- Fun & Lifestyle – Online Lessons, Arts & Crafts, Relationship Advice, Health, Nutrition & Fitness, Astrology & Readings, Greeting Cards & Videos, Viral Videos and other.
Tips That Can Help You Successfully Purchase a Gig on Fiverr
Because on Fiverr are a lot of gigs sellers, it becomes quite hard to choose one. Below are some tips for beginners that can help you successfully purchase a gig:
- You should spend some time researching gigs and good sellers. Pay attention; not all the seller reviews match the quality of the gigs. Find at least 5 to 10 sellers.
- Create a list and save all the good sellers on it. You could create one according to your needs.
- Try to work with the sellers who have a good reputation.
- Don’t read only positive reviews, scroll down and read the negative reviews as well.
- Almost all freelancers have examples of their work done. Check them and if is necessary ask for another sample.
- Always check the final quality of work. If the work does not meet your requirements, ask for a review.
**Note: if the client fails to mark the gig ordered as completed or don’t request a work review, then after 72 hours the platform will automatically mark it as good and will send the payment to the freelancer.
Is your job to check the quality of work.
- Always fill out special requests. Only that way you will avoid misunderstandings and the work will suit your needs.
Benefits Of The Fiverr Platform To The Buyer
The Fiverr platform is a truly transparent platform. Buyers on the platform are able to see all relevant information about the sellers before they hire them. The information includes:
- their ratings by other clients,
- the client’s feedback,
- the total number of gigs that have been created,
- the time for completing gigs,
- the number of gigs that were canceled.
Secures the data of buyers and sellers
On the Fiverr platform, the personal information of freelancers cannot be seen by buyers on the platform. The platform ensures that the information of buyers is not revealed to anyone. Sellers on the platform are only able to see the type of gigs that other buyers have created for the particular seller.
This feature of the platform helps buyers to easily pick which of the sellers they would love to work with. This ensures that buyers get only the best person for the gig.
The different levels of sellers
As mentioned above, this platform has level systems for all freelancers. This was designed to help buyers know who to choose for their jobs. There are 3 levels: the Level 1 sellers, the Level 2 sellers and the Top Rated Freelancer.
Other benefits of the Fiverr platform are:
- Custom offer
- Multiple currency support
- Private communication
- A freelance marketplace
- Secure payment gateways.
Is Fiverr A Scam?
No, Fiverr definitely is not a scam. However, because some sellers offer low-quality services you will also find many negative reviews about Fiverr.
To avoid all these low-quality services follow the tips that I wrote above. Moreover, in case you are not satisfied with the work, you can always resolve the issue through Fiverr and get a refund.
Is Fiverr Legit?
Yes, Fiverr is legit for both the seller and the buyer. As I said above this is a truly transparent platform and is safe to use.
My final verdict: Recommended for buyers as well as for sellers.
Please feel free to leave a comment below; moreover, if you have used Fiverr as a buyer or seller before, please share your experience with us, this can help others.
Be social, share and like this post by using the buttons below, so others can also benefit from it!
All the best!